Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hope with Soccer

What do you look forward to in a day, week, month and year? I was introduced to the slums last monday, those of you who attended our presentations may remember some of the pictures of Namuwongo. Those were the same pictures I have seen and the only reference I had of the place. I knew the place would be a poor area, but being there was a whole new experience. What you see, hear and smell brings a whole new dimension to the pictures. There are only 3 water sources that run through 3 different zones. When you look at this you would not want to put a toe in the water, yet kids are playing and bathing in it all day. This is their source of drinking water; they fill up their canteens and carry them home on their head.

The slum is situated around an old train track built in 1991, it only ran for 1 year, in 1992 the service terminated. People would steal the metal off the tracks because they were desperate for cash making a running train dangerous. Garbage litters the area and is drenched in urination and defecation. Disease is a problem in this condensed living condition. I got sick the other day after eating some local food, I remained in bed with a churning stomach and throbbing head ache. I missed a meeting with Ocitti the head volunteer for the organization, we rescheduled for another day. When we finally met, he told me that getting sick is hard for me because I’m not use to the feeling, but the people here can handle it because they live with that feeling everyday! What a comparison!?!

The people here are excited to see Matt again, they recognize him right away and from the distant. This brings them hope and something to look forward to - soccer. After the initial greeting the first questions for Matt is, “will we have another soccer tournament?” When they hear the answer “yes” there is excitement in their voice and a twinkle in their eye and they express “good, we need this”. Soccer helps engage the youth and people of Namuwongo, it keeps them off the streets, away from drugs and abuse. It gives them something to do, they feel productive, important, and they receive some sort of education. These people fight for their lives everyday and soccer helps incorporate an element of fun to their daily life.

What do you look forward to? For them they hoped for a second tournament that they were unsure would be delivered. Now its here, let the games begin and for us to bring smiles to the faces in the slums.

~Margaret

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I have a pretty good imagination but I'm sure it still isn't close to the first hand experience you're going through. How can it all actuality because I have no previous life experience in that area to really draw on. So, "Wow" pretty much sums up what I'm thinking. I am glad you are there to help add some wonderful experiences to so many people. You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wake up call for me to read what it's like to live there all the time. Thank you both for all that you do and i'll be praying that God keeps you well and uses you in an amazing way for the people of Uganda. Sending you our love, your sis and boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that you two were able to go and bring back the tournament for them. I know Matthew really wanted this, and I'm delighted to see how much it means to them as well. Anxious to join you to help in any way I can. I know this will be life changing for me, and I can only hope that I will be able to have a positive impact on others. We continue to pray for your well-being and how God will use you to touch other. Love you both, Mom

    ReplyDelete