Tuesday, April 28, 2009

We Made It!

I was home with not enough time to settle, but to become familiarized. With the next skip and hop i am standing in front of the check in for Continental Airlines to begin my 28 hours of sitting, trying to sleep sitting and hauling luggage from one terminal to another. As you can see in the pics below we have successfully packed all of the wonderful donations. At check in we were asked if we were moving to Uganda due to our mass amount of luggage :) Matt and I flew Seattle-Newark-Amsterdam-Entebbe. Our driver Max picked us up at the Enttebbe airport and said "Welcome to Uganda, you are now swimming in a sea of black people."

We drove into Kampala in the dark. I can say that driving felt like an intense game of leap frog. And don't get caught leaping for too long or the on coming traffic well blast you then Game Over! I didn't know that people drive on the left side in Uganda. I continued to have a moment of panic when we would jerk to the left to avoid traffic because my initial reaction was OMG we are on the wrong side of the road!!

Max loved his music, he was jamming all the way to our hostel. Where he got into a tiff with the security guard at the Red Chilli Hostel. The security guard asked Max to turn down his music (Thriller, Michale Jackson) and Max reacted by turning is car around pointing now at the guard and turned up his beats. As Matt and I were placing our luggage into storage we watch our driver and the security guard get into a quarrel. The guard was now fining the driver and wouldn't open the gate for him till he paid. Max was having none of it and refused to pay. I know eventually Max got out, but I'm not sure which side won.

I woke up the next morning to a rain storm that rolled in with a couple claps of thunder then after 10-15 mins, poof gone. sun came out and everything was pleasant. A chicken came in during the Storm to take shelter on one of the dorm beds. I heard the day before the same chicken came and laid an egg on one of the beds.

I am amazed from the 2 days I have been here, I have not witnesses a signal person smoking cigarettes. hmmmm.... I know people do, but I can't believe i have not seen it. Makes my day more pleasant.

The people here wear vibrant colors, could be that it stands out tremendously from the contrast of their skin. It is beautiful here and greener then I though it would be. I saw the gigantic ugly vultures too, ewwwww.

Cheers to another adventure. Pics coming straight from Uganda will be posted soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment